Sunday, March 25, 2012

(WP) Mad Women

Here's a thoughtful reflection on the current nostalgia in popular culture for the bad old days of gender relations: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/25/magazine/watching-mad-men-with-my-mother.html?ref=magazine
An excerpt:

     "Mad Men" made my mother remember life in her 20s -- too clearly. When the show focused on Don Draper's wife, Betty, a repressed housewife in suburbia, my mom visibly cringed. "During Betty's scenes," she told me, "I felt this pain, right in my gut." She took a breath and explained that she loved her life and her marriage now, but when she watched Betty say she just wants to serve Don, it took her back to when she and my father were first married. "That's the way I thought. I lived to serve. I wanted to make him happy."
     It was odd to hear my mom compare her relationship to the Drapers'. My parents split the household duties, held jobs in teaching and systems administration and pursued their interests in meditation and aikido. What I was coming to understand, thought, was that my mother did not come into the world fully formed in 1981, when I was born, that there was a complicated and somehow painful life that predated me.

1 comment:

Jacob Wheeler said...

I want to preface this by saying that I have never seen this show. I have seen previews and have heard extensive conversation about it.

I wonder if there would be a mechanism by which we could synthesize the two eras. When we feel nolstalgia for the era of Mad Men, we, typically, are not longing for a time of sexual discrimination and subjugation. There are, though, aspects of that time worth envying. There is an aesthetic taste that could long for the clothes, for instance. But even then, there are aspects to the clothing that could be seen as sexist as well. So are the two inexorably linked or could we somehow combine the aesthetic with our modern day (I shan't say egalitarianism) era of gender progression.