Friday, October 25, 2013

(LCR) Midterm surprises

There were a couple of questions that many of you missed which surprised me. For example:
"'Thus,' 'since,' 'so,' and 'therefore' can all serve as conclusion indicators" is clearly false ('since' can only be a premise indicator). Yet all but one of you marked it "True."

Almost as many of you marked "True" the claim that "I was late because my car broke down" is an argument, the conclusion to which is "I was late." But the broken car is not offered as evidence for the truth of the claim "I was late" -- the fact of your lateness is a given, and the broken car is offered as an explanation.

3 comments:

Robin said...

Those were the only surprises? Cool, then I may not have done as poorly as I thought. Only 2 wrong so far!

Matt Silliman said...

Those were the initial surprises. When I am able to score the rest of the exam, we'll see.

Robin said...

Thanks for the re-test. I was so happy to discover that I'd done the Pooh argument correctly twice in the homework, but couldn't figure it out this morning.