Monday, February 9, 2015

(WR) Hallucinogenic drugs and enlightenment

Following up on our conversation the other day about soma, here is a link to an article by Michael Pollan in the New Yorker magazine about recent research on LSD and psyllocybin. Among other experiments, these substances are being tried to alleviate depression and fear of death in terminal cancer patients. I don't know whether you can access it through this link without a subscription, but you might try going through the library site, or even (gasp!) going to the actual library and reading the magazine.
http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/02/09/trip-treatment

4 comments:

Unknown said...

This is a wonderful article. I love the New Yorker. I had previously thought that Dr. David Nutt was the researcher behind those fMRI scans at Imperial College. I didn't know of Robin Carhart-Harris. I think it a good idea to stress the difference between the psilocybin mushrooms and the Amanita Muscaria that Gordon Wasson suggested is the Hindu Soma. A. Muscaria contains a different alkaloid called muscimol as it's psychoactive chemical. The experience is much different with muscimol and often extremely unpleasant. Also, a couple deaths have been reported with the A. Muscaria, whereas mushrooms of the genus psilocybe have no known LD50. I'm only bringing this up because we were talking about Soma, and this article discusses Dr. Wassons work in re-discovering the mexican psilocybe cubensis. Same scientist, different work.

Matt Silliman said...

I was not confusing soma with psilocybin -- just drawing an analogy between psychoactive botanicals thought to affect, for want of a more neutral term, spiritual well-being.

Unknown said...

Oh no, I wasn't trying to correct you or anything, was just putting the info out there for anyone interested. Also because I mentioned Wasson in one of my blog posts and he's also mentioned here.

adazae.se said...

Here is another article about space and drugs. Its somthing i studied in my Arts and Humanities class that i think really speake about drugs and enligtenment.Tho i dont reccomend we try this at home http://bryanlewissaunders.org/drugs/

enjoy